Place:


Pennington  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pennington like this:

PENNINGTON, a parish in Ulverston district, Lancashire; near the Furness railway, 1¾ mile W S W of Ulverston. It has a post-office under Ulverston. Acres, 2, 767. Real property, £18, 436; of which £7, 500 are in mines, and £2, 732 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 489; in 1861, 879. ...


Houses, 163. The increase of pop. arosefrom extension of mining operations. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Pennington family. Iron ore is very largely mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £260.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church was rebuilt in 1825. There is a parochial school.

Pennington through time

Pennington is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pennington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pennington, in South Lakeland and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10752

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pennington ".