Place:


Corby  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Corby like this:

CORBY, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 3½ miles SSE of Rockingham r. station, and 7½ NNE of Kettering; and has a post office under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2, 800 acres. Real property, £3, 445. ...


Pop., 794. Houses, 188. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400.* Patron, the Earl of Cardigan. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and an endowed British school. -The sub-district is in Kettering district; and contains ten parishes. Acres, 20, 108. Pop., 4, 210. Houses, 930. -The hundred contains twenty-seven parishes. Pop., 10, 959.

Corby through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Corby has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Corby go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Corby in Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1200

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Corby ".