Place:


Baillieston  Lanarkshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Baillieston like this:

Baillieston, a large mining village and a quoad sacra parish, in the civil parish of Old Monkland, Lanarkshire, with a station on the Rutherglen-Coatbridge branch of the Caledonian, 3½ miles W by S of Coatbridge, and 6½ miles E of Glasgow. The village is lighted with gas, has a post office under Glasgow, and a railway telegraph office, and contains an Established, a Free, and a U.P. ...


church, besides St John's Episcopal and St Bridget's Roman Catholic churches. Under Old Monkland school-board there are a Sessional and a Roman Catholic school, which, with respective accommodation for 215 and 143 children, had an average attendance (1879) of 209 and 149, and grants of£213, 8s. 6d. and £127,11s. The Baillieston and Shettleston mining district included in that year 22 active collieries, 16 of them at Baillieston itself. Pop. of village (1861) 1832, (1871) 2805, (1881) 2990; of q. s. parish (1871) 4924, (1881) 3477.

Baillieston through time

Baillieston is now part of Glasgow district. Click here for graphs and data of how Glasgow has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Baillieston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Baillieston, in Glasgow and Lanarkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21821

Date accessed: 14th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Baillieston ".