Place:


Auchmithie  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Auchmithie like this:

Auchmithie, a fishing village in St Vigeans parish, Forfarshire, on a rocky bank rising about 150 feet from the beach, 3½ miles NNE of Arbroath. It holds of the Earl of Northesk, is irregularly built, but contains several good houses, and has a sort of harbour at the foot of an opening in the rocky bank, a post office under Arbroath, an inn, and an Established mission church (1829-34; minister's salary, £80). ...


Water and drainage works were formed in 1880. Anchmithie is the ` Musselcrag ' of Scott's Antiquary; its fishermen contend with great difficulties, having after every voyage to draw their boats inward from the beach, to prevent their destruction by the violence of the waves. Pop. (1871) 412.

Auchmithie through time

Auchmithie is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Auchmithie itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Auchmithie in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22325

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Auchmithie ".