Place:


Ousden  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ousden like this:

OUSDEN, a village and a parish in the district of Newmarket and county of Suffolk. The village stands1½ mile E of the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 4¾ S by W of Higham r. station, and 6½ E S E of Newmarket; and has a post-office under Newmarket. The parish comprises 1, 400 acres. ...


Real property, £2,040. Pop., 3 46. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Ousden Hall and much of theland, belongs to B. M. Praed, Esq. The Hall is an elegant mansion, in the Grecian style; and has extensive grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £380.* Patron, B. J. M. Praed, Esq. The church is good; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a parochial school, and charities £16.

Ousden through time

Ousden is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ousden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ousden, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7584

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ousden ".