In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ditchling like this:
DITCHLING, or Ditchelling, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands near the Roman road to Pevensey, 1¼ mile E of Hassocks-Gate r. station, and 3 ESE of Hurstperpoint; has a post office under Hurstperpoint, and fairs on 6 April and 12 Oct.; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 4, 183 acres. Real property, £5, 901. Pop., 1, 082. Houses, 220. The property is divided among a few. Ditchling Beacon is the highest ground of the South chalk downs of Sussex; has an altitude of 858 feet above sea-level; is crowned with remains of a square camp, probably Roman; and commands a very extensive and grand view. ...
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is cruciform, partly transition-Norman, partly early English. There are a Unitarian chapel, a national school, a workhouse, and charities £46. -The sub-district contains five parishes. Acres, 17, 814. Pop., 3, 948. Houses, 662.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ditchling has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Lewes. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ditchling and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ditchling, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ditchling".