Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LOWICK, or LUFFWICK

LOWICK, or LUFFWICK, a village and a parish in Thrapston district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2 miles NW by N of Thrapston r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Lowick, under Thrapston. The parish comprises 2,200 acres. Real property, £2,744. Pop., 427. Houses, 86. The manor, with Drayton House, belongs to W. B. Stopford, Esq. Part of a Roman pavement was found in 1736. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £308. * Patron, Mrs. Stopford. The church is later English; has a square tower and an octagonal lantern; and contains fine stained glass windows, brasses of Henry Green and an Earl of Wiltshire, and monuments to Sir Walter de Vere and Sir John Germain. There are an endowed school with £90 a year, and charities £35.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lowick CP/AP       Thrapston PLU/RegD       Northamptonshire AncC
Place names: LOWICK     |     LOWICK OR LUFFWICK     |     LUFFWICK
Place: Lowick

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.