Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DUNDRY

DUNDRY, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; near the Bristol and Exeter railway, 4¼ miles SSW of Bristol. It contains the tythings of East Dundry, West Dundry, and Littleton; and has a post office under Bristol, and a fair on 12 Sept. Acres, 2, 799. Real property, £7, 339. Pop., 556. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. Dundry hill is an outlying ridge of inferior oolite, nearly 4 miles long, and about 700 feet high; and has yielded great abundance of interesting fossils, some of which are preserved in a museum in Bristol. The oolite rock on the hill is quarried. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Chew Magna, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church stands on Dundry hill; is in very good condition; and has a conspicuous tower, visible from almost every vantage-ground in the neighbourhood of Bristol and Clifton. Fine views are obtained here, over the circumjacent country, to the Welsh, the Quantock, the Malvern, and the Wiltshire hills. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £26.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Dundry Ch/CP       Long Ashton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Dundry

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.