Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DINTON

DINTON, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands near the river Nadder, and the Salisbury and Yeovil railway, 5½ miles W of Wilton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Salisbury. The parish, together with Teffont-Magna, comprises 4, 086 acres. Real property, with Teffont-Magna and Teffont-Evias, £7, 002. Rated property of D. alone, £3, 186. Pop., 509. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. Dinton House is the seat of William Wyndham, Esq. The parish is a meet for the South Wiltshire hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Teffont-Magna, In the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, Magdalene College, Oxford. The church is externally good, but internally bad. Lord Clarendon, the historian, was born in the parsonage. Henry Lawes, the musician, also was a native; whom Milton designates as

Harry, whose tuneful and well-measured song
First taught our English music how to span
Words with just note and accent.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Dinton AP/CP       Wilton PLU/RegD       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Dinton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.