Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STOURTON

STOURTON, a parish in Mere district, and in Wilts and Somerset; 2½ miles WNW of Mere, and 5 SE of Witham r. station. Its Somerset portion is Brook hamlet. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 3,543. Rated property, £3,304. Pop., 660. Houses, 151. Stourhead, separately noticed, is the chief feature. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £520.* Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is ancient, and contains monuments of the Stourtons. The churchyard is ornate; and contains a lofty stone cross, the mansoleum of the Hoare family, and a monumental tower over the remains of Sir R.Hoare, the author of "Ancient Wiltshire." Charities, £68.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Stourton With Gasper AP/CP       Mere PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC       Wiltshire AncC
Place: Stourton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.