Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for STEPPINGLEY

STEPPINGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Ampthill district, Beds; 3¼ miles S of Ampthill r. station. Post town, Ampthill. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £1,899. Pop., 365. Houses, 85. The manor be1ongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £266.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the early decorated and later English styles.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Steppingley CP/AP       Ampthill PLU/RegD       Bedfordshire AncC
Place: Steppingley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.