Place:


Charnock Richard  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charnock Richard like this:

CHARNOCK-RICHARD, a township-chapelry in Standish parish, Lancashire; adjacent to the Wigan and Preston railway, near Coppull station, 3 miles SW by W of Chorley. Post Town, Coppull, under Chorley. Acres, 1,948. Real, property, £6,253; of which £2,700 are in mines. Pop., 899. Houses, 161. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £141.* Patron, James Darlington, Esq. The church was built in 1861; is in the perpendicular English style; and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and vestry.

Charnock Richard through time

Charnock Richard is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Charnock Richard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charnock Richard, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10041

Date accessed: 22nd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charnock Richard".