Place:


Barwell  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barwell like this:

BARWELL, a township in Blaby district, and a parish in Blaby, Hinckley, and Market-Bosworth districts, Leicester. The township lies 2 miles NNE of Hinckley r. station, and 6½ NE of Nuneaton; and has a post office under Hinckley. Acres, 2,290. Real property, £6,589. Pop., 1,358. Houses, 304. ...


The parish includes also the hamlet of Potters-Marston and the chapelry of Stapleton. Acres, 3,950. Real property, £10,069. Pop., 1,613. Houses, 361. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Marston and Stapleton, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £865.* Patron, Rev. R. Titley. The church is ancient, and was recently restored. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities £22.

Barwell through time

Barwell is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barwell, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10606

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barwell ".