Place:


Hucknall  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hucknall like this:

HUCKNALL-TORKARD, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands near Hucknall r. station, 1 mile W of the river Trent, and 8 NNW of Nottingham; is a large place; and has a post office ‡ under Nottingham.—The parish comprises 3, 270 acres. Real property, £6, 599. ...


Pop., 2, 836. Houses, 611. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Portland. An extensive colliery, employing about 500 men, and yielding coal of excellent quality, was recently opened. Excellent limestone is quarried, and stocking making and lace making are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £135. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is ancient, in tolerable condition; and contains the tomb of Lord Byron the poet, and monuments of several of his ancestors. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists, a national school, and a charity of about £50 a year.

Hucknall through time

Hucknall is now part of Ashfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hucknall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hucknall, in Ashfield and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1062

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hucknall ".