Place:


Earl Shilton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earl Shilton like this:

EARL-SHILTON, a chapelry and a sub-district in Hinckley district, Leicester. The chapelry is in Kirkby-Mallory parish; and lies 2 miles N of the Hinckley and Leicester railway, and 4 NE by E of Hinckley. It has a post office‡ under Hinckley. Acres, 920. Real property, £7, 471. Pop., 2, 176. ...


Houses, 480. The manor belongs to the duchy of Lancaster, and had formerly a Norman castle. The stocking manufacture is largely carried on; and the introduction of machinery to it occasioned a decrease of population, by migration, between 1851 and 1861. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Elmsthorpe, in the diocese of Peterborough. There are four dissenting chapels, a school with £36 from endowment, and other charities with £78.—The sub-district includes also Elmsthorpe parish, and Barwell township. Acres, 4, 860. Pop., 3, 579. Houses, 789.

Earl Shilton through time

Earl Shilton is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earl Shilton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earl Shilton, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10727

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earl Shilton ".