Place:


Kingscote  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingscote like this:

KINGSCOTE, a village and a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 5 miles NW by W of Tetbury, and 7½ NE of Charfield r. station: and has a post office under Wotton under-Edge. The parish comprises 1,810 acres. Real property, £2, 338. Pop., 311. ...


Houses, 65. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known at Domesday as Chingescote; belonged to the Fitzhardinges; passed to the Kingscotes; and, with Kingscote Hal and much of the land, belongs now to Col. Kingscote. Roman coins, pavements, and other relics have been found. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Beverstone, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English; was repaired and enlarged in 1851; and consists of nave, N transept, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Kingscote through time

Kingscote is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingscote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingscote, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10934

Date accessed: 30th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingscote ".