Place:


Prestbury  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prestbury like this:

PRESTBURY, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, 2 miles N E of Cheltenham r. station; was once a market-town; suffered great devastation by fire in the time of Henry VII.; and has a post-office under Cheltenham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Noverton and the Pittville pump-room, gardens, and drives. ...


Acres, 3,022. Real property, £11, 423. Pop., 1, 297. Houses, 268. The landed property is divided chiefly among four. Prestbury House is the seat ofCapel, Esq.; the Priory, of the Rev. J. Edwards; and there are other good residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £234.* Patron, the Rev. J. Edwards. The church is old but good; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains several fine mural monuments. There are a national school, an alms-house for ten persons, and charities £30. F. Philipps the antiquary was a native.

Prestbury through time

Prestbury is now part of Cheltenham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cheltenham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prestbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prestbury, in Cheltenham and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11100

Date accessed: 01st June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prestbury ".