Place:


Newbold Verdon  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newbold Verdon like this:

NEWBOLD-VERDON, a village and a parish in Market-Bosworth district, Leicester. The village stands3 miles E of Market-Bosworth, and 3 W of Desford r.station; and has a post-office under Leicester. The parish contains also the hamlet of Brascote. Acres, 2, 400. Real property, £4, 416. Pop., 708. ...


Houses, 174. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged ancientlyto the Verduns, and belongs now to Sir W.Hartopp, Bart. Newbold Hall is an old mansion, retaining sometraces of its former grandeur; and was the residence of Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, and of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu. Coal was recently discovered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £600.* Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is a neat building, with a tower; and was repaired and improved in 1844, at a cost of £700. There are a Baptistchapel, an endowed school, with £20 a year, and charities £20.

Newbold Verdon through time

Newbold Verdon is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newbold Verdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newbold Verdon, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11182

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newbold Verdon ".