Place:


Boldon  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boldon like this:

BOLDON, two villages and a parish in South Shields district, Durham. The villages are West and East Boldon; and the former stands in the southern vicinity of the Brandling Junction railway, 4½ miles NW of Sunderland, and has a post office under Gateshead; while the latter is about a mile to the E.—The parish comprises 3,954 acres. ...


Real property, £8,637. Pop., 1,024. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. The manor has belonged, from time immemorial, to the see of Durham; and gives name to the "Boldon Buke," an ancient survey of the diocese, preserved in the cathedral. Limestone is abundant. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £653.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is early English, and has several memorial windows put up in 1851. There are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, built in 1863, a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.

Boldon through time

Boldon is now part of South Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Boldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boldon, in South Tyneside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1182

Date accessed: 24th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Boldon ".