Place:


Norton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton like this:

NORTON-COLEPARLE, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; on Akeman-street, 2¾ miles S of the boundary with Gloucestershire, 4 S W of Malmsbury, and 7½ N by W of Chippenham r. station. Post-town Malmsbury. Acres, 1,001. Real property, with Easton-Grey, £3, 134. Pop. of N.-C. alone, 112. Houses, 22 The surface is elevated and wooded. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £110. Patron, Sir J. Neeld, Bart. The church is ancient. There is a slightly endowed school.

Norton through time

Norton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12034

Date accessed: 02nd March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton ".