Place:


West Pennard  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Pennard like this:

PENNARD (West), a village and a parish in Wells district, Somerset. The village stands 1 mile N of the Somerset and Dorset railway, and 3½ W by S of Glastonbury; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Shepton-Mallet, and a fair on the first Monday of Aug. The parish contains also the hamlets of East-Street, South-Town, and Sticklinch. ...


Acres, 3,063. Real property, £7, 289. Pop., 836. Houses, 177. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Sandwich. A cheese, 91/3 feet in circumference, and 11 cwt. in weight, was made here from the produce of 750cows, and presented to the Queen. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £102.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is later English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a carved pulpit of 1618. A sculptured cross is in the churchyard. There are a Wesleyan chapel, two national schools, and charities £29.

West Pennard through time

West Pennard is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Pennard itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Pennard, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13140

Date accessed: 23rd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Pennard ".