Place:


Wedmore  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wedmore like this:

WEDMORE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Axbridge district, Somerset. The village stands on a rising-ground, 4 miles NNE of Shapwick r. station, and 4¾ S of Axbridge; was known to the Saxons as Wetmor; is nominally a borough, governed by a portreeve; is also a polling place; and has a post-office‡ under Weston-super-Mare, and two annual fairs. ...


The parish contains five tythings and numerous hamlets. Acres, 9,986. Real property, £23,788. Pop. in 1851, 3,905; in 1861, 3,653. Houses, 804. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown, and belongs now to the Barrows. A summer palace of King Alfred stood on Mudgley hill, but has left no vestiges. Much Cheddar cheese is made. A pot of Danish coins was found in the churchyard in 1851. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £360.* Patron, the Bishop of B. and W. The church is ancient, cruciform, and good. The p. curacies of Theale and Blackford are separate benefices. Eleven chapels were anciently in different parts; but remains of only one of them now exist. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school, and charities about £60.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes. Acres, 20,044. Pop., 6,265. Houses, 1,367.

Wedmore through time

Wedmore is now part of Sedgemoor district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sedgemoor has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wedmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wedmore, in Sedgemoor and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13372

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wedmore ".