Place:


Wellow  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wellow like this:

WELLOW, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Somerset. The village stands 3¾ miles W by S of Freshford r. station, and 4¾ S of Bath: and has a post-office under Bath, and a fair on 20 Oct. The parish contains also 8 hamlets, comprises 5,292 acres, and is in Bath district. Real property, £7,828; of which £590 are in mines. ...


Pop., 1,087. Houses, 234. The manor be longs to W. G. Langton, Esq. A Celtic cemetery and a well-preserved Roman villa are at Littleton. Strawberries are extensively cultivated. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £380.* Patron, G. L. M. Starkie, Esq. The church was restored in 1845. There are a U. Free Methodist chapel and an endowed school with £12 a year.-The hundred contains 13 parishes. Acres, 21,613. Pop. in 1851, 10,348; in 1861, 9,783. Houses, 2,101.

Wellow through time

Wellow is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wellow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wellow in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13374

Date accessed: 10th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wellow ".