Place:


Westbury  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westbury like this:

WESTBURY, a parish, with a village, in Wells district, Somerset; under the Mendip hills, 4 miles NW of Wells r. station. It has a post-office under Wells, Somerset. Acres, 2,968. Real property, £6,412. Pop., 664. Houses, 135. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and most of the land is divided among four. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £251.* Patron, the Bishop of B. and W. The church is chiefly later English. There are a Bible Christian chapel and a national school.

Westbury through time

Westbury is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westbury, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13382

Date accessed: 23rd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westbury ".