Place:


Wilshamstead  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wilshamstead like this:

WILSHAMPSTEAD, or Wilstead, a parish, with a village, in the district and county of Bedford; on the Midland railway, 4 miles S of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,027. Real property, £4,604. Pop. in 1851, 923; in 1861, 1,032. Houses, 216. The property is divided chiefly among five. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. Lord John Thynne. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1851. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £11.

Wilshamstead through time

Wilshamstead is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wilshamstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wilshamstead, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1401

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wilshamstead ".