Place:


Betws  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Betws like this:

BETTWS, a parish in Landilofawr district, Carmarthen; 3 miles SSE of Lllandebie r. station, and 8 S of Llandilofawr. Post Town, Cross Inn, under Llanelly. Acres, 6,465. Real property, £3,844,-of which £760 are in mines. Pop., 1,547. Houses, 320. The surface is hilly, and includes the Bettws mountains, which are an offset of the Black mountains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £98. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Betws through time

Betws is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Betws itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Betws in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1458

Date accessed: 28th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Betws ".