Place:


West Herrington  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Herrington like this:

HERRINGTON (West), a township in Houghton-leSpring parish, Durham; on the river Wear, 1½ mile W of Middle Herrington. Acres, 969. Real property, £1, 601. Pop. in 1851, 344; in 1861, 752. Houses, 155. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of coalmining, which led to the erection of a number of cottages, constituting the village of New Herrington. Limestone and building stone are quarried. There is a church, which was built in 1840; and the township is a chapelry, united with the p. curacy of Newbottle, in the diocese of Durham. Post town, Fence Houses.

West Herrington through time

West Herrington is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Herrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Herrington, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1870

Date accessed: 30th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Herrington ".