Place:


Ryhope  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ryhope like this:

RYHOPE, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the coast, and on the Hartlepool and Sunderland railway, 2½ miles S by E of Sunderland; was anciently called Refhope; is a sea-bathing resort; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Sunderland. ...


The township contains also the village of Ryhope-Colliery, about a mile to the W; and comprises 1, 569 acres of land, and 307 of water. Real property, £6, 555; of which £298 are in quarries, and £1, 383 in railway s. Pop. in 1851, 475; in 1861, 2,082. Houses, 310. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. A dene, 2 miles long, traversed by a rushing stream, goes down to the village. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop. in 1861, 2, 271. Houses, 343. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £400.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1826; and a Wesleyan chapel was built in 1865. There is a parochial school.

Ryhope through time

Ryhope is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ryhope itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ryhope, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1917

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ryhope ".