Place:


Ford  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ford like this:

FORD, a township and a chapelry in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The township lies on the river Wear, at Hylton ferry, and at Hylton r. station, 3 miles W of Sunderland. Acres, 1, 000. Pop., 2, 036. Houses, 358. Ford House is the seat of the Fenwicks. Ship-building, pottery-work, and the manufacture of copperas are carried on. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; was constituted in 1854; and is sometimes called South Hylton. Post town, Hylton, under Sunderland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Valne, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham.

Ford through time

Ford is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ford, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1937

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ford ".