Place:


Monkwearmouth  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkwearmouth like this:

WEARMOUTH (Monk), a township and a parish in Sunderland district, Durham. The township lies on the coast, within Sunderland borough. Acres, 616; of which 69 are water. Real property, £13,737; of which £6,154 are in mines, and £53 in railways. Pop., 3,343. Houses, 494.—The parish contains also M.-W. ...


Shore, Fulwell, Hylton, and Southwick townships; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of M.-W., M.-W.-All Saints, and Southwick. Acres, 5,419. Pop. in 1851, 16,911; in 1861, 23,440. Houses, 3,129. The livings of M.-W. and M.-W.-All Saints are p. curacies in the diocese of Durham. Value of M.-W., £350;* of All Saints, £150.* Patron of M.-W., Sir H. Williamson, Bart.; of All Saints, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The living of Southwick is a rectory, and has been separately noticed. See Sunderland.

Monkwearmouth through time

Monkwearmouth is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkwearmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkwearmouth, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/20371

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkwearmouth ".