Place:


Aspley Guise  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aspley Guise like this:

ASPLEY-GUISE, a parish in Woburn district, Beds; 1½ mile WNW of Ridgemount r. station, and 2 N of Woburn. It has a post office under Woburn; and formerly had a market. Acres, 1,936. Real property, £4,815. Pop., 1,437. Houses, 324. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Guises. ...


Aspley House and Aspley Guise House are chief residences. Aspley Heath and Aspley Wood give fine views. Fuller's earth occurs. The living is a rec tory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £325.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford. The church is elegant; and a new church and three dissenting chapels are at Woburn-Sands.

Aspley Guise through time

Aspley Guise is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aspley Guise itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aspley Guise in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2090

Date accessed: 19th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aspley Guise ".