Place:


Barton le Cley  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton le Cley like this:

BARTON-IN-THE-CLAY, a parish in Luton district, Beds; on the verge of the county, 7 miles N of Luton r. station. It has a post office under Ampthill. Acres, 2,270. Real property, £3,400. Pop., 956. Houses, 210. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient and good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £50, and other charities with £33.

Barton le Cley through time

Barton le Cley is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton le Cley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton le Cley in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2091

Date accessed: 17th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton le Cley ".