Place:


Glenprosen  Angus

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Glenprosen like this:

Glenprosen, a glen and a quoad sacra parish in Kirriemuir parish, NW Forfarshire. The glen is that of Prosen Water, rising at an altitude of 2750 feet on the western slope of Mayar, and running 18 miles south-eastward through the northern division of Kirriemuir and along the borders of Cortachy, Kingoldrum, and Kirriemuir proper, till, after a total descent of nearly 2400 feet, it falls into the South Esk at a point 1¼ mile SE of Cortachy Castle. ...


The quoad sacra parish, comprising the northern division of Kirriemuir, was constituted in 1874, and is in the presbytery of Forfar and synod of Angus and Mearns. Its church stands on the left bank of the Prosen, 9½ miles NNE of Kirriemuir town; and a public school, with accommodation for 50 children, had (1881) an average attendance of 50, and a grant of £35, 6s. Pop. (1881) 175.—Ord., Sur., Sh. 56, 1870.

Glenprosen through time

Glenprosen is now part of Angus district. Click here for graphs and data of how Angus has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glenprosen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glenprosen in Angus | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22135

Date accessed: 25th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glenprosen ".