Place:


Horrington  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horrington like this:

HORRINGTON, a chapelry in Wells-ST. Cuthbert parish, Somerset; 2 miles E of Wells city and r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it includes the tythings of East Horrington and Chilcot. Post town, Wells, Somerset. Pop., 868. Houses, 92. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Wells. The church was built in 1838. Charities, £5.

Additional information about this locality is available for Wells

Horrington through time

Horrington is now part of Mendip district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mendip has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horrington, in Mendip and Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24112

Date accessed: 23rd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horrington ".