Place:


Godrevy  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godrevy like this:

GODREVY, an island on the N side of St. Ives bay, in Cornwall. A vessel was wrecked on it, with a loss of about 60 lives, in 1649; and the Nile iron screw-steamer, of 700 tons, foundered, with a loss of all on board, by striking on a reef connected with the island, in Dec. 1854. That reef is called the Stones, and extends fully a mile from the island seaward. A light-house, to warn mariners of the reef, was erected on the island in 1859; and shows a flashing revolving light, at a height of 120 feet above high-water level.

Additional information about this locality is available for Gwithian

Godrevy through time

Godrevy is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godrevy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godrevy, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/24479

Date accessed: 19th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Godrevy".