Place:


Deptford  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deptford like this:

DEPTFORD, a chapelry in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham; adjacent to Sunderland. It was constituted in 1844; and has a post office under Sunderland. Pop., 10, 908. Houses, 1, 712. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester.

The location is where the name "Deptford" appears on the modern 1:50,000 map. Additional information about this locality is available for Sunderland

Deptford through time

Deptford is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deptford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deptford, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25426

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deptford ".