Place:


Swalwell  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swalwell like this:

SWALLWELL, a township, with a village, in Whickham parish, Durham; on the river Derwent, 1¼ mile S of Scotswood r. station, and 3½ W by S of Gateshead. It has a post-office under Gateshead, extensive ironworks, and chapels for United Presbyterians, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. Real property, £2,652. Pop., 1,479. Houses, 190.

Additional information about this locality is available for Whickham

Swalwell through time

Swalwell is now part of Gateshead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gateshead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swalwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swalwell, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25676

Date accessed: 22nd July 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Swalwell".