Place:


Hendon  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hendon like this:

HENDON, a chapelry in Bishop-Wearmouth parish, Durham; on the coast, at the N terminus of the Hartlepool and Sunderland railway, in the southern outskirts of Sunderland. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Sunderland. It was constituted in 1854. Pop., 11, 451. Houses, 1, 685. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300. * Patron, the Rector of Bishop-Wearmouth. See Wearmouth and SUNDERLAND.

Additional information about this locality is available for Sunderland

Hendon through time

Hendon is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hendon, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25849

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hendon ".