Place:


New Seaham  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Seaham like this:

SEAHAM (New), a chapelry in Seaham parish, Durham; containing Seaham-Colliery village and r. station, 5 miles S of Sunderland. It was constituted in 1861; and it has a post-office under Sunderland. Pop., 2, 489. Houses, 480. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £385.* Patron, Earl Vane. The church was built in 1861.

Additional information about this locality is available for Seaham

New Seaham through time

New Seaham is now part of Easington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Easington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Seaham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Seaham, in Easington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25867

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " New Seaham ".