Place:


Mayburgh  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mayburgh like this:

MAYBOROUGH, an ancient British monument on the S border of Cumberland; on the river Eamont, 1¼ mile S of Penrith. It is situated on a woody eminence; comprises a circular area about 300 feet in diameter, surrounded by a mound of pebbles several feet high; has in the centre an unhewn block of stone, 25 feet in girth, and 11 feet high; had formerly, near that stone, three other blocks of similar character; and is entered, through the mound, by a cut 36 feet wide. ...


Some antiquaries suppose it to be Druidical, while others disagree widely with one another in opinion respecting it. Sir Walter Scott speaks of it as-

Mayborough's mound and stones of power,
By Druids raised in magic hour.

Additional information about this locality is available for Yanwath

Mayburgh through time

Mayburgh is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mayburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mayburgh, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25926

Date accessed: 31st October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mayburgh ".