Place:


Losenham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Losenham like this:

LOSENHAM, a place in Newenden parish, Kent; 5½ miles SW of Tenterden. Camden supposed it to be the site of the ancient Anderida; but he is proved, by recent research, to have been mistaken. A Carmelite friary was founded here, in 1241, by the Auchers; and contests with one at Aylesford the claim of having been the first Carmelite friary in England. No remains of it now exist. Losenham passed from the Auchers to the Colepepers.

Additional information about this locality is available for Tenterden

Losenham through time

Losenham is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Losenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Losenham, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26084

Date accessed: 14th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Losenham".