Place:


Derwen  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Derwen like this:

DERWEN, two townships and a parish in Ruthin district, Denbigh. The townships are Derwen-Dyfanedd and Derwen-Ysgeifiog; lie on the river Clwyd, at the boundary with Merioneth, near the vale of Clwyd railway, 5 miles N by W of Corwen; and have a post office under Corwen and a railway station. The parish comprises 3, 912 acres. ...


Real property, £2, 491. Pop., 573. The property is much subdivided. Whetstone is quarried. A spring called Sarak's well has much local medicinal repute for cancer. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £415.* Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church stands on a solitary spot, nearly at the top of a lofty hill; and is very good. The churchyard contains an ancient cross 13½ feet high.

Derwen through time

Derwen is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Derwen itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Derwen in Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2681

Date accessed: 30th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Derwen ".