Place:


Hylton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hylton like this:

HYLTON, or NORTH HYLTON, a village and a township in Monk-Wearmouth parish, Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, opposite Ford village and Hylton r. station, 3 miles W of Sunderland; has a postoffice, of the name of North Hylton, under Sunderland; and shares with Ford a trade in ship building and in iron and chemical works. ...


The township comprises 2, 670 acres. Real property, £3, 569. Pop., 487. Houses, 78. Hylton Castle here is the seat of J. Bowes, Esq.; was originally a keep of the 13th century; retains, in the W front, a gatehouse of the time of Richard II.; underwent extension, in the Italian style, in 1746; and is associated with a grim ancient goblin legend. It belonged, for many ages, to the family of Hylton; and passed, in 1 762, to the Bowes family. A ruined chapel is behind it, originally of the 12th century, desolated at the Reformation, restored in last century, desecrated afterwards to the meanest uses, and retaining on its walls stone shields of the Hyltons, and of families to which they were allied.

Hylton through time

Hylton is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hylton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hylton, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2958

Date accessed: 24th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hylton ".