Place:


Milton Bryan  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton Bryan like this:

MILTON-BRYANT, a village and a parish in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of Woburn, and 4½ SE of Woburn-Sands r. station; and has a post office under Woburn. The parish comprises 1,480 acres. Real property, £2,118. Pop., 345. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. ...


Two manors here belonged, at Domesday, to Hugh de Beauchamp and the Bishop of Baienx; went to Sir Francis Bryan and Woburn abbey; and passed to Sir Hugh Inglis, Bart. The Manor-House is the seat of Lady Inglis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £252.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a white tower and a painted window; and contains a monument, by Chantrey, to Sir H. Inglis. There is a parochial school.

Milton Bryan through time

Milton Bryan is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton Bryan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton Bryan in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2977

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton Bryan ".