Place:


Bodney  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bodney like this:

BODNEY, a parish in Swaffham district, Norfolk; on the river Wissey, 5½ miles W by S of Watton, and 7 S by E of Swaffham r. station. Post Town, Great Cressingham, under Thetford. Acres, 2,605. Real property, £1,364. Pop., 117. Houses, 19. The property is divided among a few. Bodney Hall was a retreat of French nuns after the first French revolution. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Great Cressingham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is good.

Bodney through time

Bodney is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bodney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bodney, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3268

Date accessed: 28th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bodney ".