Place:


Bishop Wearmouth  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishop Wearmouth like this:

WEARMOUTH (Bishop), a township and two sub-districts in Sunderland district, and a parish partly also in Easington and Houghton-le-Spring districts, Durham. The township lies on the coast, at the mouth of the river Wear; includes a large portion of Sunderland town; and is all within Sunderland borough. ...


Acres, 2,665; of which 188 are water. Real property, £152,499; of which £530 are in mines, £478 in ironworks, and £6,163 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 31,824; in 1861, 45,673, -of whom 372 were in Sunderland workhouse. Houses, 6,459.-The sub-districts are N. and S.; and they exclude part of B.-W. township, but include B.-W.-Pans, Ford, Tunstall, and Ryhope townships. Pop. of the N. sub-d., 23,749; of the S. sub-d., 25,083. Houses, 3,338 and 3,684.—The parish contains also Burdon and Silksworth townships; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of B.-W., B.-W.-St. Thomas, B.-W. St. Peter, Ford, Deptford, Ryhope, Hendon, Silksworth, Millfield, and Pullion. The living of B.-W. is a rectory, and that of B.-W.-St. Thomas is a vicarage, in the diocese of Durham. Value of B.-W., £2,000;* of St. T., £500.* Patron of both, the Bishop of D. The other livings are separately noticed. See Sunderland.

Bishop Wearmouth through time

Bishop Wearmouth is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bishop Wearmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishop Wearmouth, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3480

Date accessed: 29th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bishop Wearmouth ".