Place:


Wootton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton like this:

WOOTTON, a parish, with a scattered village, in the district and county of Bedford; 3½ miles N by W of Ampthill r. station, and 4½ SW of Bedford. It has a post-office under Bedford. Acres, 3,711. Real property, £6,205. Pop. in 1851, 1,204; in 1861, 1,349. Houses, 277. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor, with W. House, belongs to SirPayne, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, Miss E. M. Neale. The church is early, decorated, and later English; and its chancel was recently rebuilt. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a handsome parochial school, and charities £78.

Wootton through time

Wootton is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wootton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3493

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wootton ".