Place:


Backford  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Backford like this:

BACKFORD, a township and a parish in Great Bough ton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Elles mere canal, 1 mile NE of Mollington r. station, and 3½ N of Chester. Acres, 749. Real property, £1,271. Pop., 150. Houses, 29. The parish includes also the townships of Lea, Canghall, Chorlton-by-Backford, and Mollington-Tarrant or Great Mollington; and its Post Town is Chester. ...


Acres, 3,109. Real property, £4,582. Pop., 525. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. Backford Hall is the seat of the Gleggs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church has monuments of the Birkenheads and the Morgalls. Charities, £26.

Backford through time

Backford is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Backford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Backford, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3558

Date accessed: 28th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Backford ".