Place:


Millbrook  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Millbrook like this:

MILLBROOK, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands on an eminence, 1½ mile W of Ampthill, and 1½ SSE of Ampthill r. station; commands a fine view of the vale of Bedford; and has a postal letter-box under Ampthill. The parish comprises 1,450 acres. Real property, £2,446. ...


Pop., 430. Houses, 84. The property belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £295.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is later English, with a tower; was restored in 1857; and contains two busts and a handsome monument to the family of Lord Holland. There are a national school, and charities £6. A Benedictine priory, a cell to St. Albans, was here, but was removed in 1119 to Beaulieu.

Millbrook through time

Millbrook is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Millbrook itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Millbrook in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3568

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Millbrook ".