Place:


Steppingley  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steppingley like this:

STEPPINGLEY, a parish, with a village, in Ampthill district, Beds; 3¼ miles S of Ampthill r. station. Post town, Ampthill. Acres, 1,060. Real property, £1,899. Pop., 365. Houses, 85. The manor be1ongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £266.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the early decorated and later English styles.

Steppingley through time

Steppingley is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steppingley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steppingley in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3573

Date accessed: 01st December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steppingley ".